How old must a server / clerk be to serve / sell alcoholic beverages?


The minimum age required to serve alcohol depends upon what type of establishment they are serving in.  If the server is serving in a space which is primarily for serving food, then anyone 18 and up can serve alcohol in that space.  If, however, the space is primarily for serving alcohol, then any servers of alcohol must be 21 or over.  If alcohol is only being sold to be consumed off-site, then a person under the age of 18 must be supervised by someone 21 or older to legally conduct the sale.  Anyone 18 or older may sell alcohol which is to be consumed off-site without supervision. Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized

This Quick Primer On Employment Law May Save Your . . .

California employment laws are some of the most complicated and technical in the nation.  They are also some of the easiest for disgrunted employees to recover sizeable monetary sums, far exceeding any amount of unpaid wages, for minor and inadvertent offenses. This primer is not intended to be all inclusive.  In fact, its very abbreviated and meant for the busy startup entrepeneur or small business owner. Continue reading

Posted in employment | Tagged , , , ,

Who protests applications for alcoholic beverage licenses?

Applications for alcoholic beverage manufacturing or sale local permits and state licenses generally require public notice, which in turn, often results in the application being protested.  All types of licenses can generate protests.  I’ve had protests on convenience stores, restaurants, pubs, breweries, and hotels, to name a sampling.  the following are some of the types of protestants I typically encounter:  Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized

Tasty food at brewery tasting rooms


Food at Craft Breweries

BBQ @ Mission Brewery

Brewery tasting rooms without kitchens have given rise to symbiotic relationships with nearby restaurants and other types of food vendors. This mobile BBQ vendor next to Mission Brewery in downtown San Diego served up some mighty fine BBQ.  Continue reading

Posted in breweries | Tagged , ,

Duplicate Licenses for Breweries

Nederlands: Hook Norton Brewery barrel, by Jasper K via Wikimedia Commons

Nederlands: Hook Norton Brewery barrel,
by Jasper K via Wikimedia Commons

Prior to Sept. 29, 2014, California breweries had the ability to open “branch” locations on an expedited basis.  These branch locations could sell the brewery’s beer to the public but could not make beer.  A brewery with a type 1 (large) or type 23 (small) could open an unlimited number of such branch locations by obtaining, essentially, an over-the-counter permit referred to as a “duplicate license.”  In the language of the code, the licenses were to issued “forthwith,” i.e., expedited.  In contrast, other ABC licenses typically involve lengthy investigations by the ABC and several months to obtain.   Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , ,

Free Wine or Beer at Your Barber Shop or Beauty Salon?

Barber shop signCalifornia Assembly Bill 1322 would allow one complimentary 12 oz. beer or 6 oz. wine to be provided customers of beauty salons, barber shops, and similar businesses (e.g., nail salons, day spas, etc). Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , ,

Found the perfect place for your business? How to check if zoning, ABC, or neighbors will mess you up!

Location, zoning, census tractMany people wanting to open a new business think they have found a perfect location only to find out that their proposed use is prohibited or subject to a difficult permitting process.  While that may seem conceptually obvious to most people, the existing uses in an area can be misleading to prospective new businesses.  Just because an area is full of commercial ventures doesn’t mean that the proposed business will be allowed.  Even if the area contains many of the same type of businesses, the new business may be prohibited or nearly impossible to open.  How can this be? Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized